Volunteers needed, on Thursdays (AM or PM) to help train adults with learning disabilities to learn to live independently. We are looking for: Training Volunteers: Volunteers to assist in facilitating workshops and or acting as support to individuals attending such events. • Facilitating or assisting in the facilitation of workshops. • Managing workshop activities on a one to one or group basis • Supporting individual to ensure training is fully accessible • Setting up and/or clearing up at training sessions.
Attitudes and values
- Commitment to helping others take control of their lives
- Non Judgemental attitude
- Understanding and empathetic
- Willing to challenge discrimination and prejudice
- Commitment to equal opportunities practice ie challenging racism, sexism, ageism and disability
- Commitment to client confidentiality
- Patience, sense of humour, reliability, commitment, enthusiasm
Skills and experience
- Experience working with people with learning disabilities (desirable)
- Good listening and verbal communication skills (essential)
- Experience of supporting someone through a difficult situation (eg making a complaint) or advocacy experience.
- The capability to assist and support people who may be disempowered, vulnerable and distressed.
- The skill to assist and support people to speak up for themselves
- The ability to separate your own views from that of other peoples
- Interest in developing new skills.
Will require a criminal record check (DBS), References required. These opportunities are suitable for 18-25 year olds, Over 25s, Employee volunteers, People with restricted mobility.